Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Thanksgiving was a little strange for me this year. I haven't been home with my family and enjoyed my mom's Thanksgiving dinner in at least four years. Since graduating from college, I've made it home for maybe one Thanksgiving. Even that year that I went home, I bought a cheap ticket and I'm pretty sure I flew back on Thanksgiving day. BUT, I've done some really cool things for Thanksgiving. Just a few examples:


Thanksgiving 2008: Spent on the beach in Costa Rica, warm weather, experiencing a new country, hanging out with two new friends, trying new beer






Thanksgiving 2007: Spent in Manila, Philippines, with my best friend from Korea, on a last minute trip change, I think we bought our tickets less than a week before, because they were cheap and our trip to Vietnam fell through. We had no idea what we were going to do in Manila, but we went and made some fun memories!

Thanksgiving 2006: Went to Shanghai, China with three great friends from my school in Korea. It was my first trip after moving overseas and we had so much fun. It was my first Asian vacation experience and we laughed a lot that trip. It was great.

Thanksgiving 200?: Living in CT, got a hotel room with Allison and watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade live.

Thanksgiving 200?: Cooked Thanksgiving dinner at my apartment in CT and invited over all my Latino friends there, attempted to tell them the Thanksgiving story in Spanish, and share in an American tradition with them.

Thanksgiving has changed, as to not necessarily always being with family and watching football on this day. It always fell so close to Christmas vacation that it seemed silly to buy two plane tickets so close together. It was never really that big of a deal to me. Not sure why it seemed like a bigger deal to me this year. I finally figured out, it was because I wasn't traveling and keeping myself occupied. Thanksgiving didn't really seem like Thanksgiving when you were in an airplane and then landing in another country. It just seemed like a four day weekend that was a great time off school and a great time to travel. This year, I had the opportunity to travel to a few different places, but none that were really jumping out at me and I put off travel plans until the last minute and it just wasn't happening. I was totally fine with it, actually looking forward to getting a lot of sleep, not having to deal with people for a few days, getting some things done around my house that I needed to, getting some shopping done, etc. I had a few invites for Thanksgiving dinner, but for some reason I just felt like if I wasn't celebrating it and having dinner with my family, I didn't want to celebrate it with someone else's family. Not sure what spurred this on, but it just felt weird. Like I was cheating on my family or something. I know, call me weird. It's ok. So I cooked my 3-lb turkey breast, made some real mashed potatoes and had turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy on Thanksgiving night. By myself. And it was actually quite nice. Of course I would have rather been with my family, but since I couldn't, I just preferred to be by myself this year. Thursday was just a normal day here in Guatemala, no Pilgrims and Indians to be thankful for! I went to the COPA airlines office and redeemed my voucher that has been sitting on top of my tv for a year, bought a ticket to celebrate my birthday in May in Costa Rica. Went out to lunch at a fondue restaurant, felt some tremors, just a normal day here without working! Friday night, one of my friends who is engaged to a Guatemalan, invited me over for a Thanksgiving dinner with Guillermo's family. I wasn't going to go and she knew it, so she called another friend and told her to bring me! haha. So I went and it was really nice. Dinner was great. Before dinner we all went around and told what we were thankful for. I was second to go and attempted to do it in Spanish! Who knows what I really ended up saying but they all just smiled. It wasn't until then that a tear started to form in the corner of my eye really missing my family. I wish I was there with them. It was just really nice listening to all of them talking about what they are thankful for, getting some baby time in and being a tia for a few hours, and at least knowing that I will be home in two weeks!!!! It's always about this time of the year that home seems so close yet so far away! I can't wait to squeeze each of my little niece and nephews, eat some IHOP with them, get a slush at Sonic and a blizzard at Dairy Queen! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments: